Hangar 9, located at Brooks in San Antonio, Texas, was built in 1918 and is the oldest wooden aircraft hangar of its kind still standing in its original location. Many hangars of this type were constructed as temporary facilities across the country as the United States entered World War I. The noted industrial architect, Albert Kahn, provided a unique open design that allowed up to eight Curtiss JN-4 “Jenny” aircrafts to be housed at one time. The hangar is a San Antonio Historic Landmark, listed in the Texas State Historical Survey and the National Register of Historic Places. Hangar 9 is also a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. Brooks Field, named for Sidney J. Brooks, Jr., the first San Antonio native to die in a World War I aviation-related accident, comprised 873 acres when 16 hangars, including Hangar 9, were constructed in a unique, crescent-shaped hangar row.
The hangar is approximately 8,700 square feet in size and 30 feet high. The building was saved from demolition in the late 1960s, and completely restored through the efforts of the San Antonio community and the U.S. Air Force in 1969. It has served as an aviation, aerospace and aeromedical museum, and was formerly dedicated to San Antonio native and NASA astronaut Edward H. White II, the first American to walk in space and who lost his life in the Apollo I capsule fire.
Hangar 9 Rehabilitation
Hangar 9 was constructed in 1918, and its all-wooden construction required significant refurbishing. This restoration effort, which took approximately one year to complete, included foundation and structural repairs, electrical upgrades, installation of new windows and doors, painting and siding replacement, new paving and landscaping, and accessibility improvements. The estimated cost for the project is $2.8 million.
The building was saved from demolition in the late 1960’s and completely restored through the efforts of the San Antonio Community and the U.S. Air Force in 1968.
The period 2014-2019 marks the Centennial of World War I, and many commemorations and services will be conducted across the nation to recognize the service and sacrifice of those who served at home and abroad. Hangar 9 is now a rare, World War I historic landmark and community venue to honor the men and women who served in The Great War.
Hangar 9 Grand Opening
On March 24, 2017, Brooks celebrated the grand opening of the restored Hangar 9, a $2.8 million project to transform the historic wooden hangar into an event space to host weddings, quinceañeras, businesses functions or galas, and other special events.
On the cusp of its 100th birthday, Hangar 9 has long since retired its work housing “Jenny” aircrafts during World War I and will soon embrace its new role as a community event space.
Hangar 9 Rental Information and Rates
Packages include four hours of event time and up to 2 hours of set-up time for client and caterer upon request. Evening rentals may not begin before 6:00PM and must conclude before midnight. Package pricing does not include tables, chairs, audio visual, riser staging or uniformed off-duty San Antonio Police security.
Hangar 9 is an open-air, 8,700 square foot versatile event space perfect for weddings, program lunch/dinner events, holiday parties and exhibitions. Located on the grounds of the former Brooks Air Force Base, Hangar 9 is a restored piece of history. It can accommodate a multitude of events up to 440 people.
- Wedding ceremonies may be held on the grounds for an additional fee of $500.00 when added to the rental package. This includes a one hour rehearsal.
- A 15% catering fee will be charged by your caterer. This fee applies to food only (fee not assessed on beverages, labor, table, chairs, linen rental and/or taxes.) Rental clients must use one of the Approved Hangar 9 Caterers.
- Additional lighting and tenting is allowed, with approval from the Director of Catering. Additional staffing charges will apply for set-up and teardown times.
- Extra hours (over four hours) are charged at the rate of 10% of the rental rate per hour.
- Rental tables are available for $10.00 per table. Padded white folding chairs are available for rental at $2.50 per chair.
- A non-refundable deposit of one-half of the total rental charge and signed contact are required to confirm rental. The remainder of all rental fees is due one month prior to the event.
- A damage deposit of $1,000.00 is due two months prior to the event date. The deposit is held and refunded following the event if there have been no damages to the event space or grounds.